In the comic strip “Cathy”, Cathy loves candy. In one story line, Cathy is trying to avoid the temptation of eating candy :
- Cathy goes for a drive to get her mind off the temptation of eating candy.
- She thinks, “I’ll go for a drive, but I won’t stop at the grocery store.
- Next frame, “I’ll drive past, but I won’t stop.”
- Next frame, “I’ll stop, but I won’t go inside.”
- Then, “I’ll go inside, but I won’t go down the candy aisle.”
- “I’ll go down the candy aisle, but I’ll just look. I won’t pick up any candy.”
- “I’ll pick up the candy, but I won’t buy it.”
- “I’ll buy it but I won’t open it.”
- “I’ll open it, but I won’t smell it.”
- “I’ll smell it but not taste it.”
- “I’ll taste it but not eat it.”
- Then in the last frame “EAT EAT EAT EAT”
So much for avoiding temptation.
- Have you ever found yourself in the same cycle with your personal temptations as a youth?
- What could Cathy have done differently to avoid the temptation?
- What are some things that might be similarly tempting to youth today, besides food?
- If you were to design a similar comic strip with one of those temptations we mentioned that youth of today face, what might be some of the steps in the process of a youth being lured to indulging in the temptation?
- In each of these real life scenarios that youth of today face, what could be done differently? How could we break the cycle at different stages in the temptation?
The key is to focus your mind on other things rather than the temptation. Focus on God, on scripture, and put yourself to work in a holy endeavor! That’s the best way to avoid temptation! Here are some guidelines from scripture that will help you to avoid the temptations you face as a youth:
- Recognize that you are drawn toward sin. (James 1:14)
- Get away from the temptation (1 Corinthians 10:13)
- Flee, Focus, and Fellowship with other believers (2 Timothy 2:22)
- Flee – Flee the evil desires of youth
- Focus – pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace
- Fellowship – along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.
- What temptation is your greatest weakness?
- What steps can you take this way to break the cycle to falling into that temptation?
- Say a prayer for God to show you ways to flee from your personal temptation, of holy things that you can focus your thoughts, energy and time in pursuit, and to give you good Christian friends who are also seeking purity in their relationship with God.
MORE IDEAS? See “Creative Object Lessons”
200 page e-book that explains everything you need to know when planning your very own object lessons. It contains 90 fully developed object lesson ideas and another 200 object lesson starter ideas based on Biblical idioms and Names / Descriptions of God.
|Rate This Post by Clicking the Stars :|