This object lesson works well with Placing Lights
A lit candle is easily missed in a bright room. But when the lights go out it is impossible to miss it! Use this creative object lesson to illustrate the importance of being lights in the world, especially in those places where people are living in darkness.
- Candle and a room that can be darkened.
- A water soluble marker and newsprint for each group.
Before participants arrive light a candle and place it somewhere in the room where it is not easily noticed. Make sure there is no chance for a fire hazard and that the candle is large enough to last until it it needed. Also make sure that it is away from any air draft or air conditioner / fan so that it doesn’t go out!
What to do
- As people arrive, divide them into groups and ask the following discussion question: What are some things in the world that attract people’s attention?
- As groups to write the responses on a whiteboard, flipchart, or some newsprint (small print classifieds work best).
- After a while have groups share their answers.
- Then turn off the lights and note the responses.
While the lights are still off and the candle is burning and illuminating the room, ask the following questions for discussion:
- Did anyone notice the candle before? What did you think? Did you disregard / dismiss its presence in the room?
- How did things change when the lights went off?
- How is the candle like Jesus in the world? (When so many other things grab our attention it is easy to miss God!)
- Why are people in times of tragedy and difficulty more likely to seek and find God?
- Why is it so difficult to see God in life?
- Why do the attractions of this world distract us from God?
- How can we get the attention of the world?
- What are some of the dark places where life takes you where people need to see the light?
- Where can you personally shine brightly for Christ?
- What are some of your personal distractions?
- How can you avoid the distractions and stay more focused on Christ?
Make a decision to shine for Christ in the world, especially in those dark places. What s something you can do to shine more brightly for Christ?
MORE IDEAS? See “Creative Object Lessons”
200 page e-book that explains everything you need to know when planning your very own object lessons. It contains 90 fully developed object lesson ideas and another 200 object lesson starter ideas based on Biblical idioms and Names / Descriptions of God.
|Rate This Post by Clicking the Stars :|