Using Ephesians 6:13-18 give youth a few minutes to list the “six” pieces of spiritual equipment and then rewrite the analogy from a new perspective as below:
- List the six pieces of equipment in the passage
- Write a short one sentence description for the purpose or use of each item listed.
- Rewrite Ephesians 6 using the new analogy provided: (Give each group a different analogy to use) They will need to identify each new piece of equipment and how it relates to the Christian walk.
Here are some possibilities for fresh analogies:
- Football player
- Tennis player
- Cook/ Chef
- Orchestra Conductor
- Race Car Driver
- Baseball Player
- Fighter Pilot
- Tank Driver
- Construction Worker
There are lots of options…. and looking at the equipment from a fresh perspective often brings out some really nice insights.
Here are the original 6 pieces of equipment for the passage:
- Belt – Truth
- Breastplate – Righteousness
- Shoes – Gospel of Peace
- Shield – Faith
- Helmet – Salvation
- Sword – Word of God
Example of using a new analogy – Fire Fighter
- Infrared goggles – Allow the firefighter to see the heat spots and know truth of the situation
- Oxygen Mask – protects his breathing – Like the holy spirit in us
- Boots – Gives him good footing and allows him to rescue others
- Fireproof suit – shields him from the fire
- Helmet – protects head
- Fire hose – helps him to put out fires of deception so that he can get to the truth
- Axe – helps him to cut away barriers and blockages so he can rescue others
- Ladder – helps him to reach places normally out of reach
Addition Questions for discussion:
- Why are only 6 pieces of equipment listed?
- Is there something you feel is missing from this list?
- Are all these pieces of equipment necessary?
- Which piece of equipment is most useful in your own Christian walk?
- Which piece of equipment do you most often neglect?
- How can having these 6 pieces of equipment help you to live a more victorious Christian life?
MORE IDEAS? See “Creative Object Lessons”
200 page e-book that explains everything you need to know when planning your very own object lessons. It contains 90 fully developed object lesson ideas and another 200 object lesson starter ideas based on Biblical idioms and Names / Descriptions of God.
|Rate This Post by Clicking the Stars :|